Wednesday, August 27, 2014

7 Christian Stereotypes that need to change!

I have always said I think Christians are some of the most judged and stereotyped people on earth. Truth is, I hate when people assume certain things about me without getting to know who I am just like I am sure you do. Whenever people figure out I am a Christian, Gospel Rapper, and/or Minister, they tend to always assume the following:

1. Cussing around me is a no-no. Really? I’m honored that you feel the need to change your attitude/language around me, but you don’t need to try and be on “good behavior” when we are together. Typically, I’m not offended by your language and its not like I have never heard it before. I would rather you just be yourself than trying to be someone else for me. Some Christians curse at times too. I know that everyday I live on this earth, I will likely hear a curse word at some point. It is what it is.
2. I don’t like Gays. I understand why you may have gotten this impression considering some of the ridiculous Christians out there. But, I love all people regardless of their sexual orientation and preference. To be honest, I don’t know why so many of my Christian brothers and sisters elevate this specifically over everything else. When it comes down to it, I love homosexuals just as much as I love you. I wish Christians would fight as passionately against poverty and sex trafficking as they do homosexuality.
3. I don’t drink alcohol. Now you won’t catch me passed out on the floor drunk, but to assume that I don’t drink at all because of my faith is a bit of an overstatement. After all, the first miracle Jesus did was turn water into wine, Does anyone know a better way to get the party going? lol
4. I don’t like to have fun. This probably has a lot to do with rule #3. Because “I don’t drink” then it can be assumed that I don’t like to have fun. Quite the contrary, it just means I have learned to have fun without the need of over-intoxicating myself.
5. I am ignorant or uneducated about beliefs other than my own. Actually, it is not “my way or the highway.” Obviously, I like the rest of Christians, spend most of my time trying to understand my own faith, but to say that I have shut my eyes to everything else in the world is absurd. Don’t assume I have no clue of what exists outside of Christianity.
6. I think I’m better than you. Somehow, because I am Christian, you assume I believe I am better than you. I understand you might get this impression from some of those who wear the Christian name tag, but humility is one of Christianity’s greatest attributes. I don’t think I am better than you regardless of who you are or what you’ve done. We are all on our own journey and everyone’s look a little bit different.
7. I ignore science. You might be under the assumption that things like the “Big Bang” and natural selection kill my theory for religion, so I just ignore them altogether. The truth is, I love science and it doesn’t crumble my faith at all. I am just as interested as you are to see how God did it and have yet to come across something that totally shakes my faith to the core on whether or not there was a creator.
Granted, there are probably a lot of Christians who these do and do not apply to. Everyone is not the same, but the point is simple: We are all human. The only thing we perfectly represent is humanity. Everything else, including Christianity can only be represented to the best of our ability. Our abilities unfortunately fail at times but that is why we celebrate a God who shows us grace through our failures, gives us his righteousness through Christ, and loves us unconditionally!

-Point5

No comments: